Rolling Stone vs Rolling Stones

Rolling Stone vs Rolling Stones

Rolling Stone V.S. The Rolling Stones: With such similar names, it could prove difficult for anyone who doesn't already know the difference between the two.

The Rolling Stone:

The Rolling Stone is an American monthly magazine focusing on things like music, politics, or pop culture. Rolling Stone magazine was founded in San Francisco, California, in 1967 by Jann Wenner, and music critic Ralph J. Gleason. Known for its coverage on rock music and political reporting by Hunter S. Thomson. Thomson not only wrote the political sections of the magazine but also first published some of this most famous work, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", within the pages of rolling stone where he remained a contributing editor until his death in 2005.

The first copy of Rolling Stone was released in 1967 with John Lennon on the cover of the first issue, and was then published every 2 weeks. The Rolling Stone is known for its provocative photography and its cover photos featuring musicians, politicians, athletes, and actors. in the 1970s, the magazine also helped launch the careers of many prominent authors. It was also a low point where the magazine ran some of its most famous stories. The January 21, 1970 issue covered the Altamont free concert and the death of Merideth Hunter, which won them a Specialized Journalism Award at the national magazine awards in 1971.

Later in 1970, they also published a 30,000 word feature on Charles Manson by David Dalton and David Felton, including when he was in Los Angeles county jail awaiting trial, which won Rolling Stone its first National Magazine Award. Nowadays they also publish content through  and is also currently owned by Penske Media Corporation, having purchased 51% of the magazine in 2017, then the remaining 49% in 2020. Noah Shachtman became the editor in chief on 2021.

The Rolling Stones:

The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962, and they're still rocking today. For 6 decades, The Rolling Stones have been one of the most popular and enduring bands of the rock era. Their early music in the 1960s pioneered the gritty rhythmically driven sound that came to define hard rock.

Their first stable line-up included vocalist Mick Jagger, multi-instrumentalist Brian Jones, guitarist Keith Richards, bassist Bill Wyman, and drummer Charles Watts. In the beginning Jones was the primary leader, he assembled the band, named it, and developed their sound and image. After Andrew Loog Oldham became the groups manager in 1963, he encouraged them to write their own music. Jagger and Richards then became the primary creative force behind the music, alienating Jones who had sadly developed a drug addiction, limiting his ability to contribute meaningfully in any way.

Rooted in blues and early rock and roll, they started off just playing covers and were also on the forefront of the British invasion of 1964, becoming identified with the youthful and rebellious counterculture of the 1960s. Then went on to find even greater success in their own material such as "(I Cant Get No) Satisfaction"(1965), "Get Off My Cloud"(1965), and Also "Paint It Black"(1966) instantly became international #1 hits! And their fist album "Aftermath"(1966) is considered by The Daily Telegraph to be one of the most important of their formal records. Jones left the band shortly following his death in 1969 an was then replaced my guitarist Mick Taylor. And that year they were introduced on stage as "The greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World". And with an estimated record sales of 200 million makes them one of the best selling music artists of all time.

The band has won 3 Grammy Awards and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989 and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2004. The Rolling Stone Magazine even ranked The Rolling Stones as one of the greatest bands of all time.

Rolling Stone and Rolling Stones

The summarize for the people in the back of the class:

The Rolling Stones is a rock band formed in 1962, by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. The band is considered to be one of the most influential groups in rock music. They have sold over 200 million albums worldwide, and are the second highest-grossing band in history.

The Rolling Stone magazine, on the other hand, is an American biweekly magazine that focuses on popular culture. It was founded in 1967 by Jann Wenner with the help of Ralph Gleason. The first issue came out on November 9th, 1967 and featured articles about Bob Dylan and hippie culture. The magazine has been known for its coverage of popular music and current events from the 1960s onward.
Back to blog